Sunday, January 19, 2014

Volunteering

Today's post is a little side step in to what I do when I am not in my studio.

In 2005 my oldest began her high school career. Her high school experience started the last week of July with Marching Band Camp, she was just 14 yrs. old. I has no idea what marching band was about but each morning I would take her to band camp and each evening pick up a tired but excited kid. I watched her day after day in the month of August change and grow and take a leadership role in the band when she felt that her section leader wasn't doing all she could be doing to help the section.

In September my husband and I went to see her first performance in a town we had never been to, to a competition we knew nothing about. We sat in the stands amazed at what was happening on the field.

It was not to long after that that we were asked to help out at a competition. My husband and I had no idea what we were doing but we had a wonderful time and I was hooked. I just had to be a part of something that was so beautiful.

That was nine years ago. Today I no longer have either of my children in the band. In fact it has been several years since my youngest graduated. I continue to be involved not because of my children but because of all the members of the band. Each one holds a special place in my heart and I cheer for each of them as if they are my own.

I spend a great deal of time talking to teenagers and they are not what is shown on TV. They are not self center, partying, bullies who bring guns to school or band nerds. They are kind, funny, driven young adults who are simply amazing to behold.

Yesterday I was helping at a competition for Solo & Ensemble. Hundreds of kids come to our school to perform in front of judges just to get a rating on their playing. Sure you get a medal if you get a 1 or a 2 but for many kids its just about the music.

I spent the entire day in Headquarters working with some of our students. They are nothing short of amazing. When I asked them to help handle a problem they were able to take charge and get things done. Not fuss, no muss. I even got to see a couple of kids who were past students. One came back with her one year old daughter and the other came because she had students performing. How cool is that to see a student become the teacher.


No comments:

Post a Comment