Thursday, November 14, 2013

Peppermint Swirl part 3

Finishing up the 240 Half Square Triangles.

I chain piece my piecing, that is I sew one set of triangles one right after the other without breaking the thread.

 This is all well and good until I realize that I had been piecing after running out of bobbin thread. UGH! I had to resew a few minutes of work. It is just one of the hazards of chain piecing.

After I sew the pieces together I need to take them over to my ironing table to press, not iron, toward the dark side. What's the difference between ironing and pressing? Pressing is more an up and down motion than a pushing motion. When you iron instead of press you can distort and stretch the fabric out of whack. Whack..that's a technical term.


I thought you might be interested to see my iron. Its a little different in that it has little feet on the bottom that it sits on. When I touch the handle the feet drop down and its like a normal iron.


I never have to lift the iron up. No wrist pain. This may not seem like such a big deal but when you are ironing lots and lots of pieces the less you have to lift the iron the better.

The other thing I use when pressing my fabric pieces is a starch alternative. I spray it on the fabric before I even cut out my pieces to help prevent in stretching in bias edges.

No comments:

Post a Comment